The 8 Best Eldritch Horror Expansions in 2021 to Make a Great Game Even Better
Check out the Eldritch Horror Expansions Ranked and then Pick one up Today!
For fans of H.P. Lovecraft who also enjoy board games, the Eldritch Horror board game is a must play. In this exciting adventure game, players take on the role of investigators who must traverse the globe, solving mysteries and unearthing clues, in an effort to prevent the Ancient One from rising to power and conquering the world.
If you’ve played the game before, you know that the base game boasts a solid amount of content and many hours of gameplay, but true fans of the game will be looking for more. Eldritch Horror currently has 8 expansions so it can be hard to know which to get and what comes in each one.
Luckily I’m here to help. I’ve compiled a list of the best Eldritch Horror expansions ranked so you don’t have to worry about what to get. Read on for a quick synopsis of what each pack adds to the game and to find your perfect expansion to make this great game even better. So sit back and enjoy our Eldritch Horror expansions order!
Overall Best Eldritch Horror Expansion: Forsaken Lore
Best Eldritch Horror Expansion with New Locations: Mountains of Madness
Best Eldritch Horror Expansion with new Mechanics: Cities in Ruin
Make Sure you Have the Eldritch Horror Base Game!
- EPIC COOPERATIVE ADVENTURE: Join forces with one to eight players to unravel mysteries, gather clues, and thwart the Ancient Ones' sinister plans in this heart-pounding cooperative game.
- GLOBETROTTING INVESTIGATORS: Assume the roles of intrepid investigators, each with unique skills and abilities, as you embark on a perilous journey to protect humanity from impending doom.
- ANCIENT EVIL AWAITS: Face off against dreaded Ancient Ones, eldritch beings with their own sinister agendas, and engage in heart-pounding encounters, battling the horrors that lurk in the shadows.
- IMMERSIVE LORE: Immerse yourself in the rich narrative with unique decks of Mystery and Research cards for each Ancient One, delving deeper into the eldritch lore with every game.
- EPIC COMPONENTS: With twelve diverse investigators, over three hundred cards, and two hundred-fifty tokens, Eldritch Horror delivers an expansive and immersive world-spanning adventure that will test your courage and wits.
- A NEW ANCIENT ONE: Confront the terror of Hastur as he spreads insanity and chaos in this gripping expansion for Eldritch Horror.
- ADDITIONAL INVESTIGATORS: Four new investigators join the fight to save humanity from the encroaching horrors, each with unique abilities and backgrounds.
- GLOBE-TROTTING MADNESS: Explore the world with a wealth of new Encounter cards for every continent, ensuring fresh and unpredictable adventures.
- UNVEIL ANCIENT SECRETS: Unlock the power of new conditions, spells, assets, and artifacts as you delve deeper into a world of madness and fear.
- A CURSE ON HUMANITY: Face the harrowing choice of protecting your loved ones or the fate of the world as madness creeps ever closer.
Best Eldritch Horror Expansion for: adding a variety of new content for a very affordable price
Gametime: 120-240 minutes
Gameplay: Signs of Carcosa is a small card-only expansion to Eldritch Horror that adds in a variety of new content to keep you playing the game. Hastur emerges as a new Ancient One with 8 unique mysteries for you and your team to overcome. It does require the base game to play, so make sure you have it before adding this to your collection.
4 new investigators are added, giving you more characters to choose from and to utilize in the fight against evil. Signs of Carcosa also added in several new encounter cards and more conditions, spells, Mythos cards, and more.
Signs of Carcosa is #8 on our Eldritch Horror expansions order because it adds in some additional content but doesn’t add in anything wildly new or different from the base game. Fans of the franchise will enjoy the new cards added in here, but there are many other expansions out there that will add in a lot of more varied and new content to the game. Pick this one up for an inexpensive way to add more content into the base game.
|✅ Face off against Hastur, the new Ancient One
|? Other than more cards, this expansion pack doesn’t add in any new mechanics or concepts, and no new areas
|✅ 4 new investigators and lots of new cards add in more content and replayability to the game
- GLOBAL ADVENTURE: Embark on a worldwide journey to haunted stone monuments, including Chichen Itza, Easter Islands, Stonehenge, and the Great Wall of China.
- COSMIC THREATS: Uncover the mysteries of these eerie ruins and perform vital rituals before an evil portal threatens to consume the Earth.
- NEW ANCIENT ONE: Face a fresh terror with the introduction of a new Ancient One, accompanied by Glamour Spells and Relic Unique Assets to aid your quest.
- ADDITIONAL INVESTIGATORS: Four resilient investigators join the ranks, dedicating their lives to thwarting the impending cosmic catastrophe.
- PRELUDE CARDS: Four new Prelude Cards infuse your games with dynamic scenarios and quests, enhancing the Eldritch Horror experience.
Best Eldritch Horror Expansion For: the addition of Mystic Ruins, which present new decisions and challenges to the game
Gametime: 120-240 minutes
Gameplay: Another small expansion pack, Strange Remnants adds in the Mystic Ruins deck to add a new and exciting flare to the game. Investigators will explore monuments across the globe, like Chichen Itza, Stonehenge, Easter Island, and more, as they look for clues to solve mysteries and work to perform rituals before the evil portals are opened. This expansion does require the base game to play.
A new Ancient One enters the fray in Strange Remnants. To help fight off this new evil, Syzygy, 4 new investigators are also added to the team. Players can now acquire glamour spells and relics to help defeat your enemies. The game also adds in 4 additional prelude cards to freshen up the scenarios as you play.
Ranking in at #7 on the best Eldritch Horror expansions, Strange Remnants adds in a decent amount of new content and fresh gameplay with the prelude cards and the Mystic ruins, but it still falls short of some of the more involved expansions on the list. It’s still definitely worth adding to your collection if you’re a fan of the game, and can provide many hours of fresh gameplay for seasoned veterans of the franchise.
|✅ New Mystic Ruins deck provides fresh and challenging objectives for the investigators to tackle as they search monuments around the world for ways to stop the evil portals from opening
|? Many of the other expansion packs add in a lot more diverse content and new mechanics than this one does
|✅ Take on Syzygy, a new Ancient One, with the help of new investigators, new glamour spells, and powerful relics
|✅ Mix up the gameplay with the addition of new prelude cards that modify gameplay from the beginning
- ANCIENT HORROR RISES: Dive into the eerie world of Eldritch Horror with Masks of Nyarlathotep, an expansion that unveils a sinister conspiracy spanning the globe.
- SINISTER CULTS UNITE: Investigate the gathering strength of strange cults, all worshipping Nyarlathotep, the Messenger of the Outer Gods, as they seek to usher in an unspeakable doom.
- NEW ADVENTURES AND MYSTIC RUINS: Embark on thrilling Adventures, explore enigmatic Mystic Ruins, and confront the monstrous followers of Nyarlathotep across the world.
- PERSONAL STORIES: Unique Personal Stories for each investigator add depth and stakes to your actions, immersing you in the cosmic struggle against the ancient horror.
- CAMPAIGN MODE: Engage in a Campaign mode that weaves a rich narrative, challenging you to thwart the many cults serving the myriad faces of Nyarlathotep.
Best Eldritch Horror Expansion for: players who want more backstory and information on all of the investigators as well as the addition of a campaign mode to the game
Gametime: 120-240 minutes
Gameplay: the first big Eldritch Horror expansion ranked on this list, Masks of Nyarlathotep delves further into each investigator with personal stories. Players can learn more about their character and also are presented with new rewards or consequences for meeting or failing certain game conditions. Make sure you have the base game to play this one.
This expansion pack also introduces a campaign mode for a new and exciting way to experience Eldritch Horror. Along with this you’ll encounter a new Ancient One, Nyarlathotep, the Messenger of the Outer Gods. Cults across the world are popping up, all with the goal of awakening this new terrifying monster, and the investigators must act quickly to stop this threat.
This expansion pack packs in a lot of great new content, from new Mystic Ruins, to additional adventures, to the personal stories and campaign mode. Players who want new areas to explore or new mechanics in the game should look elsewhere, but true fans of the game who want to delve deeper and explore more choices with their investigators should pick this one up today.
|✅ New campaign mode adds a fresh new way to experience Eldritch Horror
|? Some new enjoyable content, but other expansion packs will still provide new mechanics and content more than this one will
|✅ Personal Stories give players more backstory for their investigators, but also present new conditions that can be met for rewards or give consequences for failure
|? Not all players may care about the personal stories, and some may feel that it adds more challenge without much more content
|✅ New Ancient One, more Mystic Ruins, additional adventures, and more add gameplay options
- UNLEASH CATASTROPHE: Dive into chaos as ancient forces awaken in Eldritch Horror Cities in Ruin Expansion, featuring catastrophic disasters and an ominous new Ancient One, Shudde M’ell.
- FOUR NEW INVESTIGATORS: Join the ranks of four courageous investigators determined to save the world from the impending cataclysm, and uncover their unique abilities.
- DEADLY DISASTERS: Face unprecedented challenges with deadly disasters like violent earthquakes, devastating typhoons, and the impending awakening of an ancient evil.
- MONSTERS AND ENCOUNTERS: Confront a host of new monsters and encounter cards as you navigate the ruined cities and unravel the mysteries of an unfolding apocalypse.
- EXPAND YOUR ELDITCH HORROR EXPERIENCE: Enhance your Eldritch Horror game with Cities in Ruin, an expansion that adds thrilling new dimensions to your cosmic struggle.
Best Eldritch Horror Expansion for: the addition of disasters for a challenging new game mechanic
Gametime: 120-240 minutes
Gameplay: Cities in ruin is the next in the Eldritch Horror expansions order. It’s another small expansion and does require the base game to play. This pack introduces Shudde M’ell, a new Ancient One and also brings disasters into play when using this enemy.
Known as the Cataclysm Below, Shudde M’ell is a terrifying force that brings disasters along with it. Investigators must not only combat the rise of the Ancient One but now have to contend with earthquakes, typhoons, and more. Four new investigators also join the fight with Cities in Ruin to help combat evil forces.
Cities in Ruin is a great expansion to pick up if you’re looking for a slightly different flare to the regular Eldritch Horror gameplay. While it doesn’t add a ton of new content, fighting against Shudde M’ell and the disasters that come with it makes for a very different playstyle than you’ll get with other expansions. Seasoned veterans of the game should buy this one for something new to challenge them.
|✅ Face off against a new Ancient One and world disasters that come along with it
|? Cities in Ruin presents a very different playstyle with the disasters, which people either seem to really enjoy or really dislike
|✅ 4 new investigators and new encounter cards bring more content to the game
- JOURNEY TO THE DREAMLANDS: Explore the ethereal Dreamlands in this captivating expansion for Eldritch Horror, featuring an entirely new side board with enchanting landscapes.
- NEW INVESTIGATORS: Eight intrepid investigators unite to confront the insidious Ancient Ones, Altach-Nacha the Dreamweaver, and Hypnos, the Lord of Sleep.
- SPELLS, CONDITIONS, AND ADVENTURES: Unleash the power of a vast array of new Spells, Conditions, Assets, and Adventures as you traverse dreamscapes and face otherworldly encounters.
- EPIC MYTHOS CARDS: Engage with captivating Mythos cards that unravel the mysteries of this otherworldly realm, promising adventures beyond the waking world.
- ELDITCH HORROR EXPANSION: Enhance your Eldritch Horror experience with The Dreamlands, a mesmerizing expansion that opens new dimensions of gameplay.
Best Eldritch Horror Expansion to: explore and investigate through Dreamland, a new sideboard that adds more locations
Gametime: 120-240 minutes
Gameplay: You and your team encounter a new threat as the dreamland leaks into the real world, bringing all sorts of new horrors with it. Equip yourself with new spells and assets and prepare to face off the evil Dreamweaver, Altach-Nacha, or against Hypnos, the Lord of Sleep. This is a large expansion and requires the base game to play.
To aid in the fight, 8 new investigators join the team, all ready to lend a hand and showcase their own unique strengths. Dreamlands adds in a new sideboard for new areas to explore and uncover mysteries in. There’s also a ton of new conditions, adventures, mythos cards, encounters, and more included with this expansion.
This is the first expansion pack on the list that adds in new parts of the board for you to explore, so it’s a fantastic pack to add to your collection for all the new content it includes. The Dreamweaver ad the Lord of Sleep will present new challenges for you, forcing you to work together and to make tough decisions if you want to be successful. Ranking #4 on the best Eldritch Horrors expansions list, this is a superb add-on for your game, so pick it up today.
|✅ Explore new areas and uncover new mysteries in the Dreamland, a sideboard addition to the game
|? Not everyone enjoys the dream theme in this expansion pack
|✅ Face off against 2 new Ancient Ones, The Dreamweaver, and the Lord of Sleep
|? The Dreamlands board is only compatible with Hypnos as the Ancient One
|✅ A host of new spells, encounters, mythos cards, and more
- EGYPTIAN ADVENTURE: Explore the mystic wonders of Egypt with six new locations, including bustling Cairo, ancient Tel El-Amarna, and the majestic Nile River.
- ANCIENT EVIL RESURFACES: Uncover the malevolent plot of Cultists seeking to resurrect the Dark Pharaoh, a powerful evil threatening to enslave humanity.
- ADDITIONAL INVESTIGATORS: Eight new investigators join the fight, armed with Relics, Glamour spells, and legendary allies to combat the impending darkness.
- MUSEUM HEIST: Embark on a thrilling Museum Heist Adventure to recover stolen antiquities and thwart the Cultists' sinister plans.
- THEMATIC PRELUDES: Six unique Prelude cards add innovative and thematic twists to your Eldritch Horror adventures.
Best Eldritch Horror Expansion to: explore Egypt on a new sideboard with 6 new locations, as well as to enjoy new Museum Heist adventure cards
Gametime: 180 minutes
Gameplay: The investigators are heading to Egypt to take on 2 new Ancient Ones: the Dark Pharaoh, Nephren-Ka, and Abhoth. This big expansion, which requires the base game to play, adds in a new sideboard with 6 new locations to explore and enjoy as you work to thwart the work of cultists seeking to bring an Ancient One to power.
There’s lots of new great content in Under the Pyramids, from the new locations to the new Ancient Ones, to new Museum Heist adventure cards that put a fun twist on the game. There’s also 8 new investigators to team up with on your journey, as well as more preludes, new relics, and even allies to help you succeed.
Another great expansion from Fantasy Flight Games, Under the Pyramid’s big draw is the new board and locations it adds to the game. If you’re a fan of Egypt, this expansion is a must-buy for you, allowing you to check out iconic spots as you quest and even engage in museum heist adventures. You’re also getting a host of new content in the form of allies, relics, preludes, and more.
|✅ Explore locations in Egypt with a new sideboard addition
|? The sideboard is cool but it isn’t compatible with all other content, so be careful
|✅ New mythos cards, relics, allies to help on your journey, new investigators, and Museum Heist adventure cards for hours of entertainment
|? Games with this expansion may take longer than with other expansions
|✅ 2 new Ancient Ones to face off with as you work to prevent them from rising to power and destroying the world
- EPIC ANTARCTIC JOURNEY: Embark on a perilous expedition inspired by H.P. Lovecraft's novella, tracing the path of a doomed Antarctic adventure, and face inhuman horrors.
- WORLDWIDE REPERCUSSIONS: Unearth mysteries and monsters as you explore the vast City of the Elder Things, with global consequences that threaten human civilization.
- NEW INVESTIGATORS: Eight new investigator roles offer diverse abilities, enhancing your chances to survive the frozen wastelands and unearth the Mountains of Madness.
- EXPANDED GAMEPLAY: Discover additional Assets, Spells, Artifacts, and Conditions to aid or hinder investigators, alongside Adventures and Prelude cards shaping the international struggle against Ancient Ones.
- INCLUDES SIDE BOARD: The expansion includes a detailed side board depicting the enigmatic expanses of Antarctica, adding depth and complexity to your Eldritch Horror experience.
Best Eldritch Horror Expansion for: an expansion inspired by a H.P. Lovecraft novella, one that lets you explore the City of the Elder Things
Gametime: 180 minutes
Gameplay: Follow the footsteps of an Antarctic expedition and discover the City of the Elder Things, all while working to thwart one of 2 new Ancient Ones in Mountains of Madness. A new sideboard addition to the game unlocks new areas to explore, but also brings with it new challenges and threats. Make sure you have the base game in order to play this fantastic pack.
The world is threatened by either the Elder Things or by Ithaqua, so work together with your team to prevent them from destroying everything. Arm yourself with new assets, spells, artifacts, and more as you team up with new investigators to save the planet. This expansion also is the first in the series to add in preludes and adventures, both giving new and fun ways to change up gameplay to give new twists or increase the difficulty.
Coming in at #2 in our list of the best Eldritch Horror expansions ranked, Mountains of Madness is the best expansion that adds in new locations. Fans of Lovecraft’s work need to add this to their game collection since it’s based off of a novella by the author. It adds in a lot of great new content and really freshens up the gameplay.
|✅ Explore the City of the Elder Things as you work to take down one of 2 new Ancient Ones
|? This sideboard may not be compatible with all other content, so keep that in mind
|✅ Addition of preludes and adventures are both great ways to freshen up gameplay
|? With the addition of the sideboard this game will likely take longer than games without sideboards
|✅ Lots of new investigators, assets, spells, conditions, and more
- EXPANDED ADVENTURES: Dive deeper into the world of Eldritch Horror with Forsaken Lore, an expansion that introduces thrilling new encounters, mysteries, and challenges.
- ANCIENT EVILS RESURGE: Previously defeated Ancient Ones return to reclaim the world, testing your investigators' mettle like never before.
- RESEARCH AND DISCOVER: Utilize new Research cards to delve deeper into the lore surrounding each Ancient One, uncovering hidden truths and strategies.
- NEW THREATS EMERGE: Yig's cultists and Serpent People conspire to pave the way for the Father of Serpents, requiring investigators to race against time to thwart humanity's doom.
- POWERFUL TOOLS: Equip your investigators with potent Spells, formidable Assets, and legendary Artifacts as you strive to prevent the ultimate catastrophe.
Best Eldritch Horror Expansion to: expand the base game with a lot of great additional content and make the game more enjoyable
Gametime: 180 minutes
Gameplay: Forsaken Lore, Eldritch Horror’s first expansion pack, takes the great gameplay of the base game and expands upon it to make the game even better. This pack upgrades the existing Ancient Ones from the base game, as well as adding in encounter cards and research cards. Make sure you have the base game to play this expansion pack.
Encounters are a big addition that come with Forsaken Lore. These take the form of cards you draw during the Encounter phase of each round, and then the investigators must work together to complete them. These can be encounters tied to monsters, locations, Ancient Ones, and many other that you’ll run across on your journey.
Investigators will also come across new mysteries tied to each Ancient One, as well as being able to research more about your enemies. You’ll also be able to face off against Yig, the Father of Serpents, as a new Ancient One in this expansion. There are also several more artifacts, spells, assets, mythos cards, and more to experience as you play.
While just a small expansion and adding in cards only and no new areas, Forsaken Lore takes the top spot in our best Eldritch Horror expansions list due to how it improves upon and expands the gameplay set out in the base game. The upgrades to the Ancient Ones along with mysteries, encounters, and research cards all take the quality game set out and makes it so much better. Any fan of this franchise should buy this one today to add new life to an already fantastic game.
|✅ Takes the great gameplay of the base game and expands it, making it even better
|? Players looking for a lot of new content may not be as excited about this expansion
|✅ Take on new challenges with new mysteries around the Ancient Ones, as well as encounter cards
|? The additions in this expansion will increase how long each game takes to play
|✅ Research cards help you learn more about the dangers of each Ancient One and help you to prepare to combat them
|✅ Lots of new cards such as mythos cards, monsters, spells, artifacts, and more
What is Eldritch Horror?
Eldritch Horror is a cooperative dungeon crawl board game with a Lovecraft flair. Take on the role of an investigator and work together with your colleagues to solve mysteries and prevent Ancient Ones from destroying the planet. You must be ready for anything on your journey and be careful not to let evil prevail.
Each Ancient One provides a unique challenge and experience, forcing investigators to rely on their strengths and cooperation if they are to succeed. Take on mysteries, engage in combat against monsters, and trek across the globe searching for clues. Every turn you’ll face a Mythos card as well, which will present your team with all sorts of challenges and decisions to make as the Ancient One and it’s forces work to defeat you.
A superb adventure board game for 1-8 players, Eldritch Horror presents incredibly unique gameplay and tons of replayability. The base game comes with 12 investigators, all with unique strengths and weaknesses, as well as 4 Ancient Ones that each play out with their own unique encounters. Enjoy wonderful gameplay with the Eldritch Horror base game and then pick up one of the best Eldritch Horror expansions for even more wonderful content!
Check out this great review of Eldritch Horror from Board Game Quest for more information on the base game.
Other Games Like Eldritch Horror
If you’re an avid board gamer like me, you’re always on the lookout for other great games to add to your collection. Check out these quality titles that you’re sure to enjoy as a fan of Eldritch Horror!
Arkham Horror – fans of Eldritch Horror will feel very much at home picking up and playing Arkham Horror. Published from the same company, Fantasy Flight Games, Arkham Horror is also a cooperative adventure game with a distinctly Lovecraftian flair. In this game, however, the mysteries are set in Arkham. Team up with the other players and work together to prevent an Ancient One from being released into the world.
Many people feel like Eldritch Horror is a slightly more streamlined and lighter weight game than Arkham Horror. That being said, if you don’t mind a little more complexity to your games, then Arkham Horror is a great title and a must buy for you.
Just don’t confuse it with Arkham Horror the Living Card Game, also by Fantasy Flight; it’s also a great game, but will differ much more in gameplay.
Mansions of Madness – An app-driven dungeon crawl board game, Mansions of Madness is a cooperative adventure through the cursed mansions of Arkham. Set in the same universe as Eldritch Horror, this game will give you a lot of the game feel as Eldritch Horror will, but provides it’s own unique flare on the genre.
Explore the mansions, solve puzzles, uncover clues, fight monsters, and try not to go insane as you and your team of investigators try to succeed at one of several scenarios. The game is not as complex as Eldritch Horror, and does rely on the app for gameplay, but it provides an extremely enjoyable and different gameplay experience. It’s definitely worth picking up for your next game night.
If you like dungeon crawlers, be sure to check out our list of the 25 Best Dungeon Crawl Board Games.
Betrayal at House on the Hill – another great cooperative adventure board game, Betrayal at House on the Hill starts off as a game of mystery and exploration, but turns the game on its head partway through with the haunt.
Players set out into a haunted house, exploring and uncovering rooms and items, but partway through one of the players betrays the rest of the group and the game is then one versus the rest as both groups fight to be the first to accomplish their goals. No one knows what the haunt will be until it happens, so it provides fresh and exciting gameplay each and every time. Pick this one up today for a fantastic board game with friends.
For anyone looking for an interesting twist on this board game, check out Betrayal Legacy. Gameplay starts out similarly to Betrayal at House on the Hill, but as with any legacy game it changes and evolves over time. Decisions you make will have lasting implications for many games to come, and no two games are the same.
Final Thoughts on the Best Eldritch Horror Expansions
Eldritch Horror is a fun game of mystery and adventure, a great experience to share with friends and for anyone who enjoys the work of H.P. Lovecraft. While the base game is great, expansions are a great way to expand the game and add in new areas, more mechanics, and get more out of the game through additional content.
You can’t go wrong with any of the expansions on this list, but hopefully the Eldritch Horrors expansions ranked will help you to find the perfect addition to your game for your next gaming night. If you can only pick up one, grab Forsaken Lore for the best Eldritch Horror expansion to make a fantastic board game even better. Happy gaming!