The 7 Best Pool Cues for Beginners in 2021 to Give You Your Best Start
Find your First Pool Cue with our List of the Best Beginner Pool Cues
For someone who is new to the game of pool knowing what to look out for in a billiards stick can be tough. There are so many choices and options to consider, and it’s hard to know what it all means.
Luckily we’re here to help. We’ve compiled a list of the best pool cues for beginners so you can spend less time sifting through all the choices and information and pick a cue to get playing and learning.
Any of these cues will perform very well to get you started and playing and will help the beginning stages feel less frustrating. Our choices will allow you to focus on your gameplay and not worry about if your equipment will be helping or hindering you.
So grab one of these cues and get playing!
Best Pool Cue for Beginners: Players C-960
Best Inexpensive Beginner Pool Cue: Iszy Billiards Cue
Best Pool Cue Kit for Beginners: McDermott Classic
Table of Contents
7. AB Earth 2-Piece 58″ Pool Cue
- ADVANTAGE: Ergonomic design handmade painting pool cue.
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN GRIP: Canadian hard maple butt which hand-polished into a wavy shape. Compared with linen butt, our wavy shape butt is more outstanding in anti-slip function and service life.
- HANDMADE PAINTING BUTT: The inspiration for the painting butt came from outer space. Manual painting with trendy colors makes each cue looks special.
- SPECIFICATION: Durable 13mm leather tip. 58" in length. 18 - 21oz in weight. 5/16 x18 pin. Made of Maple. Skidproof ergonomic design painted grip.
- WHAT YOU GET: 1 ergonomic design pool cue.
AB Earth’s Pool cue is the first on our list of the best pool cues for beginners. A nice cue at a very affordable price, this stick will get you playing without breaking your bank and should last you for a good while.
This pool cue is 58″ long and comes in 2-pieces. The butt is made from Canadian hardwood maple with a wavy grip section to help prevent slipping and is designed and finished in several different colors so you can find an option that you like. It features a 13mm cue tip which is a great size for starting out to give you a good surface with which to strike the ball. You can choose between 18-21oz weight options; I recommend 20 or 21oz to get started.
For a first pool cue this is a great choice. The price is very affordable and gives you a quality product that will help you get learning and playing. You can buy just the cue or buy a kit that adds in a case, some chalk, 2 gloves, and a tip tool. Pick this one up for an inexpensive cue to get you started.
|✅ Made from Canadian hardwood maple with an ergonomic wavy grip on the butt||? Not everyone likes the feel or look of the wavy grip|
|✅ 8 color choices to find a look that you like||? Some complaints that the tip comes off easily|
|✅ Available as just a cue or in a kit with case, chalk, gloves, and a tip tool, both options being very affordable|
6. TaiBA Cues 2-Piece Pool Cue and Case Combo
- ●【One Pool Cue Stick + One Free Cue Case +3 Accessories】 【 Cue Length】: 58" (Standard Length); 【Cue Weights】: 18-21 oz; 【Tip】: 13mm Multi-layer Leather Tip, shaped and pre-scuffed, you can use it as soon as you get it
- ●【Shaft】: 100% Grade A, Hand-Selected Quality Hard Canadian Maple Wood.【Joints】: Brass, for Easy Assembly, Better Storage and Transport.
- ●【Butt】: Quality Canadian Maple Wood with Beautiful Design Overlay Decal, Coated with 9 Layers of Varnish, Protects Cue from Moisture and Warping;
- ●【Wrap】:Imitation leather texture grip, Comfortable, Provides Proper Friction to Prevents Slipping, Reduces Deflection, Increased Power and Accuracy. Easy to Clean. After long use, won't unravel or fluff like linen wrap.
- ●【Rubber Bumper】 Protect the Cue from Hitting the Ground.【Multi-weight System】you can change the weight adjusting bolt, adjust the weight of your own preference.(Weight-adjusting bolt of other weights need to be purchased separately) 【We promise】 If there is any problemafter receiving, contact us by email and we will solve the problem for you right away
We feature another good pool cue for a beginner with the Tai BA 2-piece pool cue and case combo. Quality components come together to make a great stick to learn the game and play at the early stages. This one comes in a combo with a case or can also be purchased as a kit with the cue, case, joint protectors, a glove, and a tip tool.
This Tai BA 58″ 2-piece pool cue is made from Canadian maple wood for a good sturdy stick that will strike the ball cleanly with help from its 13mm leather tip and resin ferrule. Brass joints ensure a nice, snug fit between the pieces and give less feedback when hitting the cue ball. An imitation leather wrap is included for better grip. You can get this cue in 18-22oz options.
Pick this Tai BA cue up today for an affordable quality pool cue for beginners. Several options allow for some customization to help you get a cue a little more tailored to your preferences. The kits are a great deal and a perfect way to get some helpful accessories in the early stages of learning.
|✅ Canadian maple wood makes up this great beginner cue that features several customizable options to get you the cue you want||? Not all color choices are available in every weight option|
|✅ Available in a combo with a cue and case or a kit that comes with cue, case, glove, joint protectors, and tip pick||? Pay careful attention to which option you are choosing, since not all choices come with the same accessories|
|✅ A good pool cue for beginners at a very affordable price|
5. Viper Sinister 58″ 2-Piece Pool Cue
- Constructed from quality hard Canadian Maple wood on the shaft
- Designed with a 2-piece billiard cue, allowing for easy transportation and storage
- Features stainless steel joints which help provide consistent feedback during play and includes a removable scuffer
- Each billiard cue is finished off with a 13mm Le Pro leather tip and Irish linen wrap
- Available in 18-21 ounce cue weights, offering a customizable assortment
Here we have a great first pool cue from Viper with their Sinister 58″ 2-piece pool cue. It’s only available in the one design choice but features a really nice looking acrylic inlay that’s finished off with layers of varnish to help protect the wood and inlay.
The Sinister is made from Canadian maple hardwood and also features natural ash and black points within the stick. It’s available in 18-21oz weight choices, all of which come with a 13mm Le Pro tip, which is a really good quality cue tip on a beginner level cue. Both pieces are held together using stainless steel joints and the cue features an Irish linen wrap for help with grip.
The Viper Sinister will run you a little bit more money than the previous two choices but the upgraded components are worth the extra money. This is a quality cue that would likely last you for many years, well past your beginning level days of billiards and might carry you all the way up to when you might need a top level pool stick. Buy this one today and know that you’ll be getting one of the best pool cues for beginners.
Once you’re ready for an upgrade be sure to check out our list of the 13 Best Pool Cues to Improve your Game.
|✅ Canadian hardwood, Le Pro tip, stainless steel joints, and an Irish linen wrap all make for quality components on a beginner level cue||? You will be paying extra for these nicer components|
|✅ Available in 18-21oz weight choices so you can get a cue that feels right for you||? Doesn’t come with a carrying case or joint protectors, both of which are recommended|
|✅ A great pool cue for the price|
4. McDermott Classic Pool Cue Kit
- Soft Case
- 2 Pieces of Billiard Chalk
- Chalk Holder
- Tip Scuffer/Shaper
- 3 Year Warranty Against Manufacturer Defect
McDermott Cues bring us their classic pool cue kit for another quality pool cue for a beginner. A great first pool cue choice, this pack comes with the stick, a case, some chalk and a chalk holder, and a tip tool; all the pieces you need to setup yourself up for a great start to learning pool.
This McDermott pool cue is made of North American maple hardwood, measures 58″ long, and is a 2-piece version which helps with storage and travel. You can get this cue in either grey or white designs, which offer you some choice if not as much as some of the other models on the list.
It features a 13mm tip that’s great for helping beginners strike the ball cleanly. If you want a wrap for the cue you’ll need to purchase that separately, as it doesn’t come with one.
This isn’t the fanciest pool cue you’ll see on the market, but it is a solid, quality product that will perform well in the early stages of your pool career. It’s nice that it is part of a kit that comes with other accessories, so you can get a lot of the basics all at once. Pick this one up for a reliable pool cue that performs nicely for beginners, a great first pool cue kit to get you started.
|✅ Quality pool cue that will perform well and stand up to regular playing||? Nothing flashy or fancy about the look of the cue, and only comes in gray or white|
|✅ 2 piece design makes this ideal for traveling to bars, pool halls, or competitions|
|✅ Comes in a kit with the cue, case, chalk, chalk holder, and tip tool|
3. Viking Valhalla 2-Piece Pool Cue Stick
- IMPROVE YOUR GAME WITHOUT BREAKING THE BANK. Features a 58” maple shaft cue, two piece design for easy transport, industry standard stainless steel 5/16” x 18” threaded joint, and 13mm leather tip.
- A PREMIUM IMPORT. Designed by our Viking Cue Artisans, Valhalla cues take full advantage of our production knowledge. We stay involved in the manufacturing process to ensure each cue is top quality.
- STATE-OF-THE-ART UNRIVALED QUALITY. Before a pool cue is shipped, it is assembled, rolled, and closely inspected to make sure it meets our high quality standards.
- HIGH-END FEATURES. All Valhalla cues are fitted with a proprietary tip and the same stackable, interchangeable weight bolt system that comes standard in our American Made Viking lineup.
- STAND OUT FROM THE CROWD. Get a pool cue that matches your individual style. Valhalla offers over 100 unique designs and colors to choose from.
The next pool cue on our list is the Valhalla 2-piece cue from Viking. This stick boasts some nice materials and features for a beginner cue but is still very affordable. It’s even backed by a lifetime warranty against defects so you never have to worry about whether your cue will hold up over time.
The Valhalla is a 58″ 2-piece cue made from hard rock maple wood. It’s equipped with stainless steel joints for a superior connection that won’t come undone while playing and will give you a much cleaner feel when striking the ball. The cue tip is a 13mm leather tip to also help with accurate shots.
The Viking Valhalla is a good pool cue for a beginner, featuring many quality components put together for a stick you can rely on. Grab it in one of several colors to match your style and get playing today!
|✅ Hard rock maple wood, stainless steel joints, and a 13mm cue tip help to get good, clean, consistent shots every time you use the cue||? Doesn’t come with a case or joint protectors, both of which are recommended to help prolong the life of your cue|
|✅ Available in several colors/designs so you can find one that is you||? You’ll need to buy a wrap to help with grip if you want one since this stick doesn’t come with one|
|✅ Backed by a lifetime manufacturer’s warranty|
2. Iszy Billiards Hardwood Canadian Maple Cue
- Made of hardwood Canadian maple wood - Color Brown - Black
- Steel joint - 13mm fiber ferrule - Glue on leather tip
- Irish Linen wrap - Choose from 18 - 21 oz. cue
- NOTE: A pool cue should not have lacquer of the upper part of the shaft. The lacquer will create friction on the fingers and hand when taking a shot. The cue is intentionally designed that way for a smooth stroke.
The runner-up for our list of the best pool cues for beginners is this Iszy Billiards 2-piece maple cue. Another very affordable pool stick, this one has some premium features that ensures it will help you learn and play your best from day one.
This quality pool cue is 58″ long and comes in 2-pieces that connect together very nicely with steel joints. It’s made of Canadian hardwood and is equipped with a fiber ferrule and a 13mm tip, all designed to strike the ball cleanly and consistently. You can choose between 18-21oz weight options; go for 20 or 21oz for a great first pool cue.
You won’t likely find anything better in the price range than this Iszy Billiards pool cue. It’s certainly one of the best pool cues for beginners with it’s quality materials and components and is an incredible bargain for it’s price. Pick one up today to get started playing and know that you can rely on your equipment.
This cue will likely last you well past your beginner level days and should carry you for awhile. If you want other great cue choices for a range of skill levels then check out our 13 Best Pool Sticks to Improve your Game.
|✅ Great quality cue for an incredible price||? You only get the cue for the price; this isn’t a kit that come with any other accessories|
|✅ Canadian hardwood, Irish linen wrap, and steel joints are great to have in a beginner level pool stick||? This product is only available in 2 color options|
|✅ 18-21oz weight options so you can tailor your cue to your preferences|
1. Players C-960 Pool Cue
- Solid black genuine double-pressed Irish linen wrap for a classic, slip-free grip
- Stainless steel joint collar with 5/16 x 18 pin gives a rock solid hit
- 13mm premium Le Professional leather tip
- Available in 18 - 21 ounces in half ounce increments
- Lifetime warranty including warpage
Our top choice for the best pool cue for beginners is this Players C-960 Pool Cue. Made from fine woods and featuring premium components, it’s sure to play wonderfully and last you well through your learning days and for several years. Players also backs it with a lifetime warranty, which is a nice bonus.
This cue starts with quality North American hard rock maple and features a crimson stained shaft and butt to the stick. They coat it in Nelsonite which helps protect the stick from humidity and atmosphere changes that’s then all sealed in with epoxy to really protect it.
Players adds in other great features like a steel joint collar, a 13mm Le Pro cue tip, and a double-pressed Irish linen grip so the cue won’t slip while you’re using it. To really make sure you get the weight you want, you can order the cue in half-ounce increments ranging from 18-21oz.
The Players C-960 is one of the more expensive cues on this list, but it really shines with it’s gameplay and features for the price. Pick this one up today and know you’re using the best pool cues for beginners and that you’re more than getting your money’s worth out of it. It’s a great cue that will play well even when you are at an intermediate/advanced level.
|✅ Top quality hardwood treated to stay its best for many years||? Be prepared to pay more for the quality parts that go into the Players C-960|
|✅ Great features on this cue like steel joint collar, a Le Pro cue tip, and an Irish linen wrap|
|✅ Plenty of weight options from 18-21oz so you can get the perfect feel for you|
Considerations When Choosing the Best Beginner Pool Cue
There are several factors and pieces that go into a quality pool cue, and these are still important even when choosing a good pool cue for a beginner. Keep an eye out for these factors:
Wood Type – the type of wood that the cue is made from is a very important feature to consider. Many of the quality cues use hardwood maple as their wood of choice. Canadian maple is a nice choice or North American hard rock maple is also very good.
Weight – The weight of the pool cue is another key factor. A heavier stick tends to help you get more power on the ball, but it does take extra effort to play with a heavier cue all the time. Some players opt for a heavier break cue and a lighter cue for the rest of the game.
If you’re looking for a good first cue, go for a 20oz or 21oz choice. You can always adjust to a lighter cue as you get more comfortable.
Cue Tip – the size and type of cue tip is very important to having a good quality pool cue for beginners. Most early level pool sticks will come with a 13mm tip, which is large enough to help you get a clean strike on the ball consistently. As you get more experienced you can move to a smaller tip that will allow for more spin on the ball, but 13mm is a good choice to start with.
Leather cue tips are pretty common and are a good place to start. If you can find a cue that comes with a Le Pro tip, that’s a great quality tip to have. Cue tips won’t last as long as the cue stick itself, but they do tend to be pretty easy to replace.
Joints – the material and fit of the joints is a big factor in how the stick feels when striking the ball. Brass is a fine material for joints on your cue, but if you can get steel or even stainless steel those tend to be better. Some of it is personal preference with how it feels, though.
Types of Pool Cues
There are 2 main types of pool cues to choose from: 1 piece cues and 2 piece cues. We’ll examine each type here briefly.
1 Piece – Less common is the 1 piece cue, which is made as one part and doesn’t break down for travel or storage. These can be good cues to have if you run a pool hall or if you have a home pool table and want multiple cues to have on hand for the family or friends. You don’t have to worry about joint type with the 1 piece, as there aren’t any joints to connect parts like there would be with a 2 piece. This type of cue isn’t recommended if you want to travel with the cue, as they are very difficult to transport effectively.
2 Piece – Typically the preferred type of pool cue, 2 piece sticks are much easier to transport if you are a player who might travel with your cue or want to take it to pool halls, bars, or other places to play. It is important, however, if you are going to travel with a pool cue, that you have a quality carrying case to help protect it. Material type for the joints will also factor into how the cue feels when striking the ball, so strive for steel or stainless steel joints if you can get it.
Conclusions on the Best Pool Cues for Beginners
Learning pool from the beginning can be a challenge and it takes a lot of practice to get better at the game. Having the right equipment from the start can make a huge difference in your comfort level with the game and how quickly you improve.
Buying a quality first pool cue is a must when in the early stages of playing billiards. Grab one of these 7 cues and know that what you’re getting will play well and will help you to be more comfortable taking shots from day one. It really will go a long way to giving you your best start.
Best Inexpensive Beginner Pool Cue: Iszy Billiards Cue
Best Pool Cue Kit for Beginners: McDermott Classic
Best Pool Cue for Beginners: Players C-960
Related Pool Cue Articles
The Best Pool Cue Brands to Buy
The 13 Best Pool Cues to Improve your Game